The Government of India has decided to introduce Machine Readable Passports (MRPs) with effect from 26th August, 2007. Applicants are required to fill in the applications on-line. This option will be available for on-line registration on website:
After filling up details, a web file number and application form shall be generated and can be printed by the applicant. (In case applicants are unable to get the printout of the filled-up form due to any reason, the same can be printed later by entering Web File Number and date of birth.). This printed application form, along with required documents and fee, should be submitted to the Embassy. Applicant is required to paste one photograph on the form and must also furnish his specimen signature in the space provided.
On receipt of the application, it will be scrutinized, granted and scanned for preparing the passport. It may be noted that the photograph must be square of the size 5.1cm X 5.1 cm and signature of size 1.5 cm X 4.5 cm strictly with in the box.
Photograph should be as per the following specifications:
1) The image should be 2 inches by 2 inches;
2) The image must have adequate brightness and contrast;
3) The skin tone should be natural. In case of over-exposure or under-exposure of the photo, the skin is either too dark or too light, photo will not be acceptable;
4) It should show a close up of the head and (partial) shoulders and both ears;
5) The image should be straight looking, centred with neutral expression;
6) Face should be in sharp focus and clear with no ink marks/creases/lines;
7) The face (from forehead edge to bottom of chin) should be 70 to 80% of the photo or one inch height;
8) The eyes must be open and no hair obscuring the face;
9) Prescription glasses if worn should be clear and thin framed and should not have flash reflection or obscure the eyes;
10) Head coverings, hair, head-dress or facial ornaments should not obscure the face;
11) The photo must have plain light background;
12) There must be no other people or object in the photo;
13) The lighting must be uniform with no shadows on the face or behind;
14) Red eye photos are not allowed;
15) No lines are allowed.
Head coverings are not permitted except for religious reasons, but the facial features from bottom of chin to top of forehead and both edges of the face must be clearly shown.
The expression on the face should look natural.
Photograph/Signature not in conformity with the requirements shall be rejected causing unnecessary delay in the preparation of the passport.
Passports shall be printed in the Ministry of External Affairs, New Delhi and couriered to this Embassy between 4 and 6 weeks since the submission of the application and subject to verification of personal record for dispatch to the applicants. Those who want to keep their passports during this processing period, can keep but have to submit the old passport for cancellation at the time of delivery of new passport.
Application for passport can be filled on-line by visiting the website:
Please read all the instructions and requirements before filling up the Application
Kindly note the following points :-
a) Please write all the details as mentioned in your present passport. Any change requires documentation proof. Affidavit to be signed in front of the Consular Officer, Embassy of India, Berne. Present address in Switzerland can be changed.
b) While filling online application against address to be printed in the passport, only address in India should be filled up. Other address in Switzerland should also be filled up.
c) Please clip all the documents - do not staple it
d) Paste one photo – and attach three additional photographs
e) Specimen Signature – Signature should be in the centre of the space provided for, without touching the borders, after taking printout of the filled in application form. Applicant unable to sign should give thumb ( right for female and left for male) impression.
f) Photo 5.1 cm x 5.1 cm - should be taken as per specifications given above.
g) Pay the passport fee in UBS Bank AG , Bubenbergplatz 3, Postfach, CH-3000
Bern Account No. 235-939899-01P (IBAN No: CH82 0023 5235 9398 9901 P) of Embassy of India Berne and send the original receipt along with application.
h) Consular surcharge amount CHF 2.- is to be paid in Embassy's UBS AG, BUBENBERGPLATZ 3, POSTFACH, CH-3000, Bern Account No. 235-939899. 02K ( IBAN No: CH 39 0023 5235 9398 9902 K) and original receipt attached to the application.
Payment is NOT refundable
h) Copy of Swiss Residence/work permit should be enclosed.
i) Self addressed registered mail stamped return envelope
To execute the Sworn-in-Affidavit, please come to the Embassy personally on any working day between 09.30 and 12.30 hours.